Total, a Global Energy Company With Strong Core Values
Total's mission is to responsibly enable as many people as possible to access energy in a world of constantly growing demand, by focusing on three basic cornerstones:
As an energy company, we are also leveraging our integrated business model, which enables us to capture all of the synergies in our business base and areas of expertise.
Total is a leading international oil company and a global producer of natural gas and petrochemicals. We are also looking to solar and biomass to prepare the energy future.
To meet energy needs without abandoning the environment, we are placing sustainable development squarely in the center of our strategy, to better serve our customers.
A Profitable, Sustainable Model to Serve Our Customers Worldwide
We are expanding our business activities with a goal of delivering sustainable performance, while emphasizing investment and our social license to operate. We are pursuing several strategies:
- Growing our exploration and production operations, while strengthening our position as a global leader in gas and liquefied natural gas (LNG).
- Developing top-tier, competitive refining and petrochemical platforms.
- Making strides while keeping pace with market trends and changes, by adapting our refining base to meet demand, solidifying our European positions and pursuing selective growth opportunities in Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
- Securing the energy future by stepping up our push for innovation in the fields of solar and biomass, through continued research & development efforts.
- Developing innovative solutions to improve energy efficiency, a key driver to manage higher demand and its environmental impact.
- Helping drive local development in our host countries.
Total Is the Main Shareholder of SunPower, the Number Three Solar Company Globally
In June 2011, Total acquired 66% of U.S.-based SunPower, which designs, manufactures and installs the most efficient solar panels in the global market — 22.6%, compared to 16 to 17% for most of its competitors. SunPower is now the linchpin of our solar business.